Saturday, March 7, 2009

How Many Years?

My family moved to Colorado in March of 1992; which means that as of a couple days ago, I have lived here for 16 years!! I always tell people I was 12 when we moved, but technically I was 11. If you think my math is wrong, I spent a year in Indiana after graduate school.

I remember being angry with my parents and devastated that we moved less than two weeks before my birthday. I couldn't understand why waiting two weeks wasn't possible. They did everything they could to make it up to me, but truth be told, I didn't let them off the hook for years. Once I started to make friends here, I was less upset about it and embraced being a "transplant." Unfortunately, that took two years to happen. Yeah, I have a temper and know how to hold a grudge. I'm Irish; what do you expect?

It still seems odd to me that I've spent more of my life here than in Ohio and yet so much about Ohio still defines me. I think I'll always be partly Midwestern in my heart, though I have fully embraced the spirit of the West.

It's crazy to think that this time next year, it is likely that I'll be living in another state. A far-fetched idea is that I could be living in another country. Totally possible, but not very probable. I have no idea where God will call me to move; I could remain in Colorado for all I know. But I feel like I'm being prepared for some grand adventure, the likes of which I haven't yet experienced. I'm excited to see where He takes me and what He has planned for me there! For now, I'm going to enjoy being here and am so thankful that my parents followed when He called them to Colorado 17 years ago!! Living here has been one of the biggest blessings of my life!

No comments: