Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cologne Archives

I heard about the sudden collapse of the Cologne Archives back in March and was shocked by the vast destruction, like so many others. I've always wanted to visit Germany or Austria and have taken many years of German language classes (though that was a while ago). However, those countries have been increasingly on my heart over the last six months.

Much to my surprise, I opened an email on Friday that my graduate school is looking at sending five students to help with the recovery process at the Cologne Archives in July. Initially, I thought I had missed the deadline to indicate my interest. Then I saw that the date initially provided was incorrect. I responded that I wanted more information and the application packet was sent to us today. I also learned that the initial recovery process may have ended and only "professionals" are now wanted for the recovery process. The organizer is still trying to determine if graduate students qualify as "professionals."

I have no idea if God really wants me to go and assist in this project, but it would be so amazing! I'm excited at just the thought of possibly going to Germany, even if it is to sift through dirty and damaged documents for a week. I'll keep you posted on what happens, if I'm chosen to be part of the team and if a team is even able to go.

2 comments:

jessica said...

It sounds like it would be an exciting adventure! If you go, take lots of pictures.

Colleen said...

Thanks for suggestion, Jess! I usually get so distracted looking at things that I forget to take pictures. :-)