Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Girls!


I realized this morning that I haven't really posted about my girls- my two kitties. Their names are Isabelle “Izzy” and Posie “Po”. Izzy is the grey one, Posie is has the black and white stripes.

I got Izzy from a Denver shelter as a little kitten. I took one look at the tiny ball of fluff and had to take her home with me. Her little body was almost too small for all the fur on it, so for months she looked electrocuted because the fur stood on end! The shelter insisted she was 8 weeks, but she was probably no more than 4 or 5. I think she has a couple emotional issues from being taken away from her mom at such a young age. She carries around potholders (or soft fuzzy socks) and cries with them in her mouth. It's the most pitiful scene, but not much different than a kid with a security blanket sucking his or her thumb. Izzy has become a lap cat and is super sweet. She loves meeting new people and being in new places. Once she realizes we're somewhere new permanently, she gets upset, but for the first few days she's a happy little cat exploring away. She's also the princess of the two cats and plays the part for all it's worth to get her way. She'll sit and stare at you for you to play with her until you can't take it anymore. She also chatters at birds and bugs. Very entertaining-you always know when she's found some live creature to chase! Oh yeah, she also loves boxes and small spaces-of all kinds.



Posie is about a year younger than Izzy. I found Po in the newspaper and picked her out of her litter-mates when she was 10 weeks old. She's half Siamese and half Tabby, and built like a Tabby. I got her so she and Izzy would keep each other company while I was at work all day. As a kitten, Posie was a total lap cat and would fall asleep while being held (no longer the case). As she grew older though, she became skittish and solely my cat. She runs for the hills whenever the doorbell rings and won't come out for hours sometimes! I've finally learned to leave the door unlocked when I'm expecting friends and tell them to just come in. Posie is also very vocal-the Siamese in her. She chatters back at me when I tell her to get off the counters or out of drawers. Yes, she opens cabinet drawers and climbs in (usually after she manages to remove the contents). Very frustrating! She has all the rules that she prefers are followed for people to pet and visit with her. This is why we call her the Diva. She enjoys giving her friends head-butts from her throne (the kitty treehouse) when you return from being gone (for any length of time).

They get along alright, but aren't best friends. However, I know from experience that when I separate them, they get very upset and will meow until they're reunited. I learned this lesson while driving across the country with them in separate carriers. They're sooo much quieter when they're in one together. I have many stories about my cats! They've been with me in my darkest hours and a comfort and joy as life has slowly returned to normal. Oh, Posie also squeaks when held just right! I think that's enough for now-I'm off to get some schoolwork done!

No comments: