Wednesday, October 22, 2008

NOGs and Grey's

I get that you're probably sitting there asking, "What is/are NOGs?" Well, it stands for No Other Gods-an amazing Bible study by Kelly Minter. During last week's study, a lot of time was spent on how what I regularly watch, read, and listen to can (it usually does) counteract the Scriptures. I was immediately convicted of my obsession with everything Grey's Anatomy. I've even been known to schedule Bible study and dinner with friends around it. Perhaps shocking, but very true as those friends can attest. It has been my guilty pleasure since the first season, one I indulge at every possible opportunity.

The next question in the study is, "Without being legalistic, but simply being obedient, ask yourself: are you willing to let it go to pursue the truth?" To be honest, I paused for a minute or two before committing to let it go. But, I see that it has taken up more space in my life than it should and I am willing to back off and spend that time doing whatever God places in my life. A couple days later, a friend invited me to a hang out with people this week (during Grey's).

Last year (probably even last month), I would have just stayed home to watch the show or watched it the next day online. While online is still an option-I think the point God wants me to get is that it's just a show. A show that while I enjoy it, it should not control any aspect of my life. I shouldn't plan my weekly schedule around it, especially not my time with Him. I'm going to try really hard to not watch the episode online this week or read about it in blogs, or anywhere else. To just miss it and be ok with missing an episode.

The last couple of weeks haven't been easy for me. I feel like I just keep messing things up, and the old me would have gotten really down about it. Now, I see that making mistakes and confronting certain things in my life are progress and nothing to be ashamed of. It may take me longer than I would like to figure it out, but God is working and that's all that matters.

No comments: