Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The song in my head

I love the internet and Google! I've had a portion of a song stuck in my head all day and was able to locate the lyrics on the internet; which of course means that now the whole thing is running through my head! So long as I sleep tonight, I'm fine with that. :-)

Take Me In

Take me past the outer courts
Into the Holy Place
Past the brazen alter
Lord, I want to see Your face
Pass me by the crowds of people
And the priests who sing Your praise
I hunger and thirst for Your righteousness
And it's only found one place

(Chorus)
Take me into the Holy of Holies
Take me in by the blood of the Lamb
Take me into the Holy of Holies
Take the coal, cleanse my lips, here I am

The first time I heard this song, I was 12 or 13, at church summer camp for a week. The camp wasn't a very good experience. As I recall, I cried most of the time because the youth pastor scared the tar out of me with what he preached on. However, I remember hearing this song for the first time there and I pretty much sang it quietly to myself all the way back on the bus from camp. We were in Taos and returning to Denver.

Yeah, I was that strange little kid who sang to herself (I always have). I even used to sing to myself walking around on campus in college. One person from the church I attended passed me regularly between classes. He said he always recognized me because I always appeared to be mumbling to myself (he didn't know my name for almost a year). One day he figured out it was because I constantly walked around quietly singing and then he regularaly asked what songs were on my heart that day.

I consider it blessing to be able to sing-such as my voice is. As my dad would say, "I can barely carry a tune in a bucket." He always referred to his own voice when he said it, not mine, but it applies to me too. When I was an infant, the doctors swore I wouldn't be able to sing, they weren't sure I'd ever talk, run, or play outside. They told my parents that I may never live a normal life due to my physical limitations-God is so much bigger than the limitations I was born with! I love singing and music has always communicated to my heart in a way mere words rarely do.

After middle school, I didn't hear this song again until college when I was going through some tough times. The Holy Spirit always brings it to my mind at interesting times and it always deeply speaks to me. It's like an old friend and I'm excited to see why it's back now!

No comments: